Pukehuia Playground Wellington
The upgrade at Pukehuia Park, formally Newlands Park, had been underway since 2019, with numerous consultations with the community by Wellington City Council for input on the plan and design.The name Pukehuia translates as ‘hill of the huia bird’, a bird which was once prolific in the area but is now sadly extinct. This is one of the biggest park and playground projects by Wellington City Council in recent years. It recognises that the population of the Newlands area is growing – and that it’s a young population.The upgrade is now complete and consists of the following:
- Two new play areas, one for toddlers and younger children and another for older kids
- An all-weather artificial surface for informal sports – including a marked-out Ki-O-Rahi pitch
- A basketball half-court
- A boardwalk with a small wetland area
- A revamped skate area
- Pump track – picnic and BBQ area
- An expanded car park and improved entrance area
To ensure safety fall height requirements are met, our coloured COOLplay artificial grass was installed by our Wellington agent over our 35mm recycled proplay safety pad. You can view our coloured turf Coolplay range here.
Another colourful and imaginative playground for the Waikato community!